Under the leadership of Doug Prime, YDO's STEM Design Lab offers a range of project-based courses that, over time, help motivated students grow from first-time experimenter to self-directed innovator.
Seasonal courses include:
- 3D Printing & Prototyping
- Arduino Exploration
- Flight School (Remote Helium Airships)
- Halloween Animatronics
- Laser Light Show
- Mini-Golf Course Design
- SeaMobiles (Underwater Robotics)
- TechCreation (Carnival Game Design)
- Toy Engineering
- Video Game Design
By participating in high-quality, hands-on STEM enrichment over a number of years, YDO students are advancing from first-time experimenters to self-directed innovators.
YDO's STEM Design Lab was dedicated to Harvey S. Gelfand on March 24, 2015
STEM Design Summer
In July 2016, YDO launched a pilot program to provide students with advanced interest in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math an accelerated, hands-on experience to transform summertime learning and create a pathway leading to college success in STEM disciplines.
Participants in this accelerated program used three-dimensional, computer-aided-drafting software to design custom parts for their project; and learned to control an Arduino microcontroller using a computer programming language based on C/C++; and applied advanced Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry as well as engineering design concepts to produce a custom Laser Light Show.
In just its pilot year, STEM Design Summer drew an incredibly talented cohort from the following schools:
- LPS - Abbott Lawrence Academy
- LPS - Guilmette Middle School
- LPS - UP Academy Oliver
- Advanced Math & Science Academy Charter School (Marlborough, MA)
- Community Day Charter School (Lawrence, MA)
- Phillips Exeter Academy (Exeter, NH)
- St. Augustine School (Andover, MA)
- The Brooks School (North Andover, MA)
If you would like to learn more about program content or seasonal schedules, please contact email@example.com.